Obviously not all of the following duties will be applicable in every case. Generally if someone asks you to be their executor (or personal representative) you should just say NO
. It is a lot of work and responsibility.
- Obtain Probate.
- Arrange the funeral.
- Locate the beneficiaries and notify them of their inheritance.
- Claim any insurance policies.
- Liquidate (sell!) assets.
- Lodge tax returns and pay any tax.
- Distribute the estate as required by the Will.
- Maintain a set of accounts for all financial dealings.